If you’re seeking a long-term property to live in, thinking ahead is essential. And if you plan to start a family or add a couple more kids in the near future, you need to find a home that’s family-friendly.
But what’s does ‘family-friendly’ actually mean? What should you be looking for? What does a growing family actually need?
Family-friendly home considerations
When searching for your very first home away from home, your needs are usually simple. A one or two bedroom, one bathroom home in St Kilda or Carlton, is not only cosy – it’s also affordable and does the job.
But then time goes by. You get married and begin thinking about or starting a family. Suddenly, your little one-bedder doesn’t seem cosy anymore. It just seems cramped.
Your criteria have changed. Now you’re considering four bedroom, three bathroom houses, with big backyards in Bentleigh or Hawthorn. But what other features should you look for?
When it comes to family-friendly homes, here are a few considerations to keep in mind:
1.THE FLOOR PLAN
- Are all the bedrooms close together? When dealing with 3am feeds or nightmares, you don’t want to navigate your way from one side of the house to the other in pitch black.
- Are there stairs? If yes, consider whether it’s easy to add safety gates. This is especially important if there are young babies and toddlers around.
- Is it open-plan? By having an open-plan layout, you’re able to let your children run around while still keeping an eye on their (potentially mischievous) activities.
2. THE BACKYARD
- Do you plan to get a pet or spend time entertaining outdoors? If you have dreams of owning a Great Dane and/or kicking around a soccer ball with the kids, you’ll probably want a big backyard. Alternatively, you might be content with a small ‘inside pet’ and a simple patio with a barbecue.
3. THE BATHROOM
- Is there a bath? You can’t exactly have bath-time fun without a bath! If you plan on having multiple kids, consider a place with a bath big enough for everyone – or the space to renovate if necessary.
- Is there plenty of space? Ideally, you’ll want enough space to sit by the bath and dry the kids off. And, room for them to move past each other while frantically getting ready in the morning.
Are you ready to find your dream family-friendly home? Be the first to know about just-listed properties matching your criteria. Ask your agent about joining Listing Loop today!